Quilted Coasters

One of my very good friends just bought her first place and I've been working on some ideas for homemade house warming gift.  I have seen tons of these quilted coasters on Etsy, and I noticed it here on MarthaStewart.com, so I though I'd give it a try.

A special thanks to Jill from Women Who Do It All
for featuring me in her post on Mother's Day Gift Ideas!!

First you need some coordinating fabric

Cut out a 10" x 4.5" piece for each coaster.  You'll also need a 4" square piece of batting for each coaster.

Fold each fabric strip in half and stitch down each of the sides with a 0.25" seam allowance. 

Turn the square right side out.

Place the batting square inside the fabric 'sleeve' and work with it until it's lined up all the way in the bottom without any wrinkles.

Turn down the open edge, making sure one side of the fabric covers the batting. 

Line up the open edges to get a perfect square and pin in place.  Since I was going to do a simple square pattern with my stitching I was able to work my closure into the pattern.  But I'm sure all you super creative crafters can come up with a ton of different quilting patterns for these coasters...the possibilities are endless!




And there you go...In less than 30 minutes you have found the time to make a homemade housewarming gift!  I can see many more of these little beauties in my future...

UPDATE:
I will be submitting this to the CSI Projects Martha Stewart Challenge...

Visit thecsiproject.com




12 Response to Quilted Coasters

April 20, 2010 at 9:37 AM

So cute! I love all things quilted and I've never thought to do a coaster.

April 23, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Those are great! I love the colors and the fabrics!

April 24, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Great idea! You fabric is beautiful! :)

April 25, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Wow - so pretty! I love the fabrics you used. Would love to have you stop by the Sunday Showcase Party. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! What a great way to make a useful item fabulous!

April 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I'm featuring these :)

April 27, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing at the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! Great job on the coasters they look fabulous!Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

May 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM

You were caught being creative and were featured on Black Kats Design Fab Friday Favorites. Stop on by, grab a button and show off!

May 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I have been looking for a project to use my new sewing machine on, I think you've helped me. Thank you.
My hubby got me a new machine because my old one died and this one has some snazzy stitches I could show off on the top stitching.
Take care and have a blessed weekend.

May 4, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Hi Kathryn,

You were the winner of my DIY Day giveaway from Homemade Gourmet! Winner announced here: http://asoftplace.net/2010/04/diy-tile-artwork/.

Would you shoot me an email at kimba {at} asoftplace {dot} net and I'll get you connected with Jen so you can claim your prize.

Congratulations!

May 11, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Wha a great idea!! I have loads of scraps that I could do this. hmmm, I feel a freebie item coming out this idea.
Following you through New Friend Friday!

April - www.stitchngiggles.com

June 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Now this is fabulous~ Well done!

September 10, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Aren't coasters a great little gift. I just posted mine here - http://flyawayhome-4am.blogspot.com/2010/09/instead-of-charms-for-your-drinks.html - if you would like to check them out. I am visiting from Girl Creative.

Related Posts with Thumbnails