Sewing Machine Pin Cushion

I have had this idea rolling around in my head for quite some time and I finally found the time to make it.

I want to show you how to make a super easy pin cushion that attaches right to your sewing machine.
 

If you are like me, you always pin your fabric before sewing to make sure it won't slip or bunch as you sew.  Well, I never had a convenient place to put a pin cushion so I could quickly remove the pins right before the needle went over them.  I was always fiddling with the magnet 'pin cushions' and trying to get them as close to the machine as possible so I could quickly drop the pins and not loose my spot sewing. 

So here is my solution...a quick tutorial on how to make a pin cushion to fit your machine that will tie right onto the arm of the machine and keep your pins close at hand.

Supplies you'll need:
-scrap pieces of fabric
-matching ribbon


You'll have to choose the shape for your pin cushion based on your sewing machine.  I utilized the long flat section under the reverse button on my machine to place my pin cushion, so I cut two pieces of scrap fabric to fit that shape. 

Then I measured around the arm of the machine where the pin cushion would be tied, and cut two pieces of 1/4" wide satin ribbon to a total of 1.5 times the circumference of the arm.  This will allow you ample room to tie the pin cushion on to the machine.

Once you have your fabric and ribbon cut, pin the fabric right sides together, adding the ribbon to the seams.  You'll want to sew about 90% of the outer seam (including over both ribbons), leaving the last inch or so open to stuff with stuffing.  It's really like making a throw pillow, but a miniature version with two ribbons sticking out.


Next, you'll turn the pin cushion right side out and use your scissors to push out the corners (if you have a square shape).

Add the stuffing through the opening and fill it up as much as you can.  Don't worry about putting too much stuffing in it...you can't go wrong with really stuffing it full.

Finally, some quick hand sewing to close the seam and you're all set.  

In a few minutes you have a great accessory for your sewing machine that should make sewing that much easier.



I have since found out that I can also change the way my pin cushion sits and line it up on the inside of the arm.  This will probably be useful if I do any really intricate sewing and need to have the pins right next to my hand.



Here is a view of the back of the machine where the pin cushion is tied...you can see how you might have to account for the power cord and on/off switch when you choose your pin cushion placement.


I hope you enjoy this project and can find the time to make your own sewing machine pin cushion!
Pin It

102 Response to Sewing Machine Pin Cushion

Pam
July 7, 2010 at 10:26 PM

What a logical and fun idea. Love the fabric too. I really need to make one of these. It would be much more convenient. Pam @ Sallygoodin

July 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I love this idea! I have the same problem with my pins. The pin cushion is never in a convienient place - even when you put it in one. Or it rolls away. Thanks.
I've also linked to SWS - take a look if you get a chance!

July 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Excellent idea, I am doing this TODAY! Thanks, you clever woman.

July 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Great idea!

July 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I definitely need this! Thanks! :-)

July 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM

What a great (and super easy!) idea! I am going to have to do this sometime for my machine!

July 8, 2010 at 8:41 PM

This is a great idea. I have the same problem with pins, and now you have shown me a solution. Thanks for sharing

Sam
July 9, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I wish I could find the time to learn how to sew in the first place!

Have a great weekend!
Sam
Mom.Undecided.
http://momundecided.blogspot.com/

Kim
July 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM

That is so clever--my trick is I leave my regular pin cushion in the dining room :P. I have a Fabric Fun Thursday link party that you may want to join sometime.

Kel
July 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM

What a great idea! I'm following from the Friday blog hop. I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

Kel
betweenthelines-kel.com

July 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM

what a great idea,, i always end up with a pile of pins laying around the sewing machine,, will definitely have to try this.. thanks for sharing with us

July 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM

That is such a wonderful idea! Maybe that can be today's nap time sewing idea. I can never find my tomato pin cushion when I need it or I have needles all over the table because I couldn't put them where they belong. Thanks for sharing

July 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM

wow...this is an awesome idea...i need to do it immediately...thank you for sharing the idea

July 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I love this idea. I am going to have to try it out.

I am now following you from Friendly Friday Follow.

July 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM

This is perfect! I costume for my theater at school, and we are crazily disorganized, so our pin containers don't have tops so people keep getting stabbed. I am totally going to make this!
Happy follow friday!

July 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I have to start sewing again. I used to. I have to get my machine going. You have a new follower from Friday Follow! Come visit me at Mama's Little Chick.

Mama Hen
www.mamaslittlechick.com

July 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM

What an amazing idea! And your pincushion is so cute! I'm definitely going to use this idea!

July 10, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I'm definitely asking for a sewing machine from Santa this year! Does Santa sew? Can one of his elves make that cute pin cushion to go with my new sewing machine? I promise I'll be extra good!! I'm a new follower!
smiles!

www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

July 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM

This is a wonderful idea. I've been looking for a cute pin cushion to make and this is perfect. Thanks for making the time to share :)

July 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM

How clever! I really need to make one of these! I'm forever pushing my pincushion off the sewing table whenever I sew. Thanks for sharing. I've posted a link. I would love it if you joined my link party sometime.

July 12, 2010 at 7:29 AM

hi! following you from NFF -- this is such a good idea :)

www.dandygiveaway.com

July 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM

I saw this on Sumo's Sweet Stuff and did one of those 'Doh' motions. Why haven't I ever thought of this. I honestly just stopped pinning because I was over the hastle! You have saved my sanity and my sewing projects! Thanks!

July 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM

that is just so clever! I LOVE this idea, I'm totally going to make one! Visiting from justsewsassy.com

July 12, 2010 at 2:18 PM

OMG!!! I have sewn for 40 years & those pins have drove me crazy that many years...I would have never thought of this..love it! making it very soon...well this week! Great Job!

July 12, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I am sooooo making one of these!! I always loosing the pincushion!!

July 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I can't wait to try this! Love it.

July 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM

That is a great idea, I love that you put it on the machine because I always seem to lose mine.

July 13, 2010 at 9:34 AM

OMGosh are you kidding me? This is brilliant! Love, love, love this idea.

July 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I love this! You have just saved me from knocking over my little tin of pins again.

July 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Cute idea! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

Al
July 13, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Now that's a great ides!

July 13, 2010 at 10:31 PM

What a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing. (Found you through Creative Itch)

July 14, 2010 at 4:19 AM

This will seriously change my life. Found you from Creative Itch. Diana from http://closetcrafterohio.blogspot.com/

July 14, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Total. Genius.

July 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM

How smart! I'd love to have one of those on my machine!

Thanks for linking up to We Did It! Wednesday :).

July 14, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Genius! I think I'm going to need to make one of these tonight. I'm forever leaving my pincushion on the ironing board or the back of the couch or any other number of places. Thanks for sharing!

My Crafty Crap

July 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Absolutely brilliant! I'm always having that problem too. I'll have to find five free minutes and whip this puppy up.

Eve
July 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Brilliant! I always can't find where my pin cushion is while I'm sewing and moving my fabric around. Thank you for this post! :D Eveshouse.blogspot.com

July 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM

That is really a good one! Isn't it just the simplest things that make life so much easier? This is incredible. Very "brag-worthy". Thank you for sharing!

naomi
July 14, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Muy original la idea,practica, con iman se pegan .Gracias por compartir.
desde Ezeiza - Buenos Aires - Argenrina

July 14, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Great idea!!! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

July 14, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Oh! You are so clever! Great idea!
*Visiting from the Bragfest*

July 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Great idea. I need one of these. 15ish years after design school, my parents are still finding my pins in the carpet!

July 15, 2010 at 2:06 AM

I like that you made something so cute and solved a problem too - smart idea!

Thanks for linking up to Fab Friday -

Cheers!

July 15, 2010 at 9:03 AM

This. is. brilliant. I must make one of these, asap!

Thanks for linking up at Craftastical!

July 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM

That's a GREAT idea!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

I'm starting a new sew along, come check it out at TheTrainToCrazy.com!

July 15, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Okay, I'm making one of these tonight. I've made 2 rag quilts in the last 3 weeks and I am forever worried about one of the kids getting a hold of the pincushion so I keep it at the way back of the table; safe for them but a pain for me. AWESOME idea! Thanks!

July 15, 2010 at 10:49 PM

love this idea! we'll be featuring!

July 18, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Great idea! I love it!
I sew all the time and I love the idea.

July 18, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Aha! I am SO going to make one of these. I forever have to put the pin-cushion waaay over there so that I won't bump it off the table - and I don't like those wrist ones cause I will probably forget which arm is wearing it.

Thanks for sharing!

July 18, 2010 at 5:32 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
July 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Hi Kathryn: I think that I will get it right this time.

I just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that I featured your project on my blog. You can see the feature here:

http://wwwbobbypinsboardwalk.blogspot.com/2010/07/featured-attractions-on-bobbypins_18.html

Feel free to grab a "featured" button and I sure thank you for linking this project to the Boardwalk Bragfest!

July 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Hi, I am new here. Creations by Kara snet me. I love the sewing machine cushion. I was trying to figure out exactly how to do that creatively, but I was thinking more of a magnet. Your idea is much better! I am going to sew me one up!
Thanks for the great idea!
I'll be back for more!

July 30, 2010 at 5:27 AM

I am adding this to my favs list.

Cheri

July 30, 2010 at 5:33 AM

Hi! I am visiting from Sumo's today and I have to tell you how much I love your blog! What great ideas you have. And I can't wait to try this one out. It is a brilliant idea!!

July 30, 2010 at 6:35 AM

Genius! I just saw this idea over at Sumo's today and had to come say thanks! I can't wait to make one!

July 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

This is great tute. My MIL has the same type of thing on her machine, but she used the leftovers from cutting the hem of a pair of pants.

August 3, 2010 at 7:58 AM

I love this!

August 3, 2010 at 8:23 AM

That is genius!!! I so need one of these (especially since my regular pin cushion "magically" disappeared! lol). Visiting from The CSI Project. Good luck. :)

August 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Great Idea...Coming over from CSI Project. Will def. bookmark and make one for myself....I always seem to loose my scissors and my pins :)

August 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Brilliant!! I'm always "losing" my pin cushion.

August 5, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I agree! A great idea!

August 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Such a simple idea and so smart! I will def. be making one of these in the near future!
Saw this on The CSI Project

Anabel
June 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I just made one in under 5 minutes! Thanks for the great idea! I modified it to use elastic. I slipped it over without trouble and used a left over piece that was too short for much of anything else.

June 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Just ran across this post and your blog today. Love this!!! I pinned it :)

June 22, 2011 at 6:57 AM

This is an amazing idea!!!

August 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Great idea!
I just have the same problem you explain with the magnet pin cushion he he... I will try it!
Thanks for sharing :)

August 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Brilliant Idea!I need one of these!

August 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Love this idea!..Just found you on Pinterest

August 29, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I am going to find the time for this brilliant idea. It won't even take long, require much in the way of resources but it will take the pain our of picking up the pins I've use to pin tack. Thanks for sharing. The best ideas are dreamt up out of our necessitiy and often seem the simplest!

September 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I just made this last nite & love it! I used elastic instead of ribbon. Thanks for the tutorial to make sewing easier!

September 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM

This is so genius! I featured it today on Fun Friday Finds. Thank you for sharing.
www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

October 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM

This is such a great idea! I would probably measure it out to make straps with velcro instead of using ribbon...that way I don't have to worry about a tie coming loose. Thanks for *yet another* project for my list!

Stephanie
creationsalamode.blogspot.com

October 27, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Just wanted you to know I posted my version on my blog and gave you a link and props.Very creative idea...Bunny at La Sewista

December 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Fabulous idea.
I hope I can make one soon as I find the time. Might invest in some steel wool as stuffing as this supposed to help keep your needles sharp.

February 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

fabulous idea!

February 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I just saw this on Pinterest and made my own version using elastic instead of ribbon, and a buttonhole to attach the elastic to the pincushion. Thanks for the inspiration.

March 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM

hi

i saw this in pinterest and made my own version too!! it's such a simple yet great idea thanks for the inspiration!!

http://thegildedhare.blogspot.com/2012/03/diy-sewing-machine-pin-cushion-tutorial.html

May 14, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Love it thanks

May 14, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Love it thanks

May 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I will be making them for our Christmas in July meeting, thanks! only on mine I will be using velcro instead of ribbon. You have solved my gifting problem, thanks!

May 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

What an awesome idea. I will try it with elastic if that doesn't work i will use Velcro! Thanks for the thought!

July 28, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Thank you for the inspiration! Here's my version and an explanation of how I did it:
http://pinterest.com/pin/213217363579059888/
Couldn't have thought of it without your inspiration!
Thanks!!
:o)

August 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM

This saves a container of pins in my lap! I omitted the ribbon and sewed velcro to the back on the cushion and used a 3M Command velcro strip on the machine.

September 3, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I just made this and am grinning ear to ear. Thanks for a terrific idea!

October 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM

what a fabulous idea!!!

October 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I just sewed my pincushion. Can't wait for my next sewing project to try it out. Thanks a lot.

November 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Fabulosa idea!! Gracias

November 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Fabulosa idea!! Gracias

November 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Made this today! Thanks so much for the fabulous idea! Now my machine looks cute to boot!

Jo
January 7, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Thanks for the brilliant idea! Just made two! Thanks.
http://thecraftynomad.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/sewing-machine-pin-cushion.html

February 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Omg! This is genius!! Thanks a bunch. Im so making one when I get out of work tonight :)

February 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Omg! This is genius!! Thanks a bunch. Im so making one when I get out of work tonight :)

May 31, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Nice posting...
2edperth is a company that offers facilities should have a record of offering safer deals. Home decorations,gift,cushion etc are our services. For buying these visit http://www.2bedperth.com/

June 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Thank you so much! I just made one!

August 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM

So helpful. I've cussed this problem since I got my machine two years ago. Thank you, thank you, thank you for such a simple idea and great instructions for this newbie! I made it as soon as I saw your post!

September 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM

do you sell these anywhere? i don't want to make one, but I know it would be the perfect gift for someone I know. can I buy one?

November 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Great idea! I am sharing this on my Facebook page.

January 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Normally I'm a pin now do later kinda girl, but this time I went directly from your tute to my stash and whipped up this little gem ASAP! Thanks for the great tip and tutorial. Cheers!

January 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I love this pin cushion being right where I need it. I hate having pins everywhere. It was so easy to make - and so cute! Thanks

April 11, 2014 at 4:09 AM

Brilliant! My grandmother used to have a strip of thick wool flannel sewn around the arm of her sewing machine for collecting pins as she sewed. Often I end up with a mouth full of pins removed as I've sewn, and wish I could do the same thing. But modern sewing machines have all kinds of useful controls across the machine arm so its not possible. I can't believe I never thought of this solution!

September 28, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Creative idea that II also hope to replicate as long as it won't upset access to key controls. At no place I could find did I read what you stuffed it with! For me, that's got to be perfect in order to make using that pin cushion truly convenient.
What material was used as the STUFFING ? Thank you for sharing the idea.

Related Posts with Thumbnails