Custom Curtain from a Flat Sheet

Today I'd like to show you all how to make simple custom curtains from flat sheets.  I have to tell you, I love re-purposing flat sheets into all sorts of projects.  When you do the math, it can be one of the least expensive ways to buy fabric.  And with so many options out there you can always find just the right color and/or pattern for the project.


This curtain is for my daughter's room, so I'm using very bright colors.  The green solid sheet is from Wal-Mart, and the pink striped sheet is from Goodwill.  They aren't very heavy (probably only 250 tc), but since this project isn't going to be touched a lot they will work perfectly.
First things first, measure your window. 
Remember: "Measure twice, cut once"! 
Since this curtain is designed to hang flat over the window I cut my fabric to be the exact width of the window plus 1" for seam allowance.  The length is up to you.  I didn't need this curtain to do much since we have blinds behind it to block light so I cut the fabric to be about 3/4 of the height of the window. 
For the main curtain I cut two huge squares to match my windows' measurements, one from each sheet.  Then I sewed them together like huge throw pillow, turned it right side out and closed up the gap. 
Super simple, right?
Next is the ties.  Since I knew that the striped fabric would be facing out I cut the ties out of the contrasting green fabric.  They were 2' wide and super long...about 24" longer than the curtain.  This was on purpose so I could trim them later if need be.
To get two bows on the final curtain you will need 4 ties, which means 8 strips of fabric.
Sew them together in pairs and turn right side out.  You'll want to iron them flat so they lay flat on the curtain.
Now it's time to assemble the curtain.  My goal was to have about a 4" strip of the green fabric showing at the top of the curtain, and the ties coming out of that.  So I laid the curtain on the floor and folded down the top about 4". 
I tucked all 4 of the ties under the fold and pinned everything in place.  This will mean that two of the ties will loop up over the curtain rod and come back down the back side of the curtain to create the ties.  If you don't like this look you can attach the back pair of ties to the back of the curtain when you sew them on. 
Once I had all the pins in place I ran one long straight seam across the entire width of the curtain, making sure to catch all 4 of the ties.
And that's pretty much it.  The loop at the top of the curtain that allows the green fabric to show also created the pocket I needed to hang up the curtain. 
Once the curtain is hung up you simply gather the fabric and use the ties to tie the curtain to the right length.  Of course, you can let out the ties at any time to fully cover the window, or raise them up to let in more light. 

I will be linking up to as many of these awesome Linky Parties as I can

Linky Parties

11 Response to Custom Curtain from a Flat Sheet

June 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM

This is a great sewing project. I really like the colors too.
I am following you from Boost my blog.

ladeedacreations.com

June 10, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Great job. Would love to have you link up at my link party over on my craft blog. :) I'm a new follower from Design it Chic.

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

June 11, 2011 at 7:09 AM

New follower from Boost My Blog. I love the combination of fabric you used in this project. Creative people like you inspire me since I cannot make anything. I hope you will follow me back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I can be found in facebook too http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and twitter @DeniseLillaRose If you like/follow me there I will do the same for you. When you stop by my blog, please check out my kind of fashion (hair jewelry).

June 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Found you at Between Naps...your curtain turned out very nice! I am a big fan of this type of curtain in a kids room.

June 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM

What a great window treatment and so creative. No one would ever guess that it is made out sheets, plus the great thing is that you don't have seams with sheets. Love the color combination too.

June 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM

thanks for linking to take-a-look tuesday - - I just featured you on my FB page

D+B
June 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Your blog is so cute!! I will definitely be following you!! :) and will be watching your blog to learn some new things!! I would love it if would check out my blog and follow me back also!!
-Brooke
For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com

June 23, 2011 at 6:03 AM

great blog!
Hello! I'm your newest follower from Welcome Wed. Would love for you to consider following me back. xo malia

http://www.yesterdayontuesday.com

May 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM

like the curtain...nice fabric choice and colour.

Roman shades concord, ca

July 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM

This looks like something even "I" could make! I pinned it on my nursery curtains board so more people would find your tutorial.

If you would rather I didn't, just contact me via the addy posted on the footer of my website and I'll take it right down.

Jan
Baby Nursery Ideas

March 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM

The information and the detail were just perfect. I think that your perspective is deep, its just well thought out and really fantastic.
Curtains

Related Posts with Thumbnails