Easy Fabric Silhouette Wall Art

This tutorial is for one of my favorite projects and I can't wait to share it with everyone!
Silhouette Wall Art 

 
 I did this project in my youngest daughters room and absolutely L.O.V.E how it turned out!  I've had this idea in my head forever and finally worked out the kinks to get it done. 

I wanted to do some larger artwork above her crib, but wasn't comfortable hanging anything above her that was super heavy or had glass.  My kids run tall and I know she'll be reaching over the side of the crib before she's a year old.  What's so great about this project is the main material is foam board and weighs practically nothing.  So if she manages to pull one of these little guys down it won't hurt her at all.  Gotta love super easy, affordable, and safe projects, right?  Every mother's dream!
So here are the steps you'll need to make this super affordable and customizable project.

Supplies:
foam board
fabric
exacto knife or box cutter
fabric glue
spray adhesive
First, you'll need to cut the shapes out of the foam board.  I'm not gonna lie here ladies...this can be tricky!  It took me at least 5 passes on each cut to get through all the layers in the foam board.  And with some of my animals being about 2' wide/tall it took some maneuvering.  But just be patient and go slow...you'll get through the foam board eventually.


Once you have your shape, lay it on the fabric and trace it out with at least 1.5" to spare all the way around. 
**Note: make sure to trace your shape onto the back side of the fabric so you cut it out the right way...learned that lesson the hard way!**
Next cut out the fabric pieces.

Using the spray adhesive, attach the fabric to the front side of the shape.  Make sure to get any bubbles out at this step before the adhesive dries.
Once it's dry you can start to wrap the fabric around the cut out.  Slowly work your way around the cutout and glue the extra fabric down using the fabric glue.  I tried to use a brush for this part...but quickly found out that nothing works better than the tools God gave you! 
I found the best process was to (1) run a line of glue on the section you're working on (2) slightly stretch the fabric around the edge and over the glue (3) use your finger to smear/spread the glue as it seeps through the fabric.
When you get to the tricky areas where there are lots of curves you might need to add extra glue on the top of the fabric and smear it around to make sure it's all sticking down. 
Your fingers will get really sticky...so make sure the kids are down for a nap and you've already gone potty before you start gluing!  This is not an easy part of the process to hop up from!
I would also recommend lifting up the shape every once in a while to make sure everything looks good.  Especially if you are using a striped fabric and you don't want the lines to get off center.
Once all the glue is dry you are ready to hang them up! 
**Note: These foam board hangers work perfectly for a project like this!** 
I went with a cluster/cloud shape centered over Baby Girl's crib.  I also thought about a long photo shelf across the whole wall to stand all the animals on.  Really, the options are unlimited!


I hope this project inspires you to add some easy quick artwork to your walls.  The options are endless!  You just have to find the time!

This post has beed featured on these great blogs!!!:



kimbo's craftsSee Vanessa CraftThe ArtsyGirl Connectionfeatured I'm topsy turvy tuesdays Strictly Homemade Tuesday

Pin It
I AM LINKING TO AS MANY OF THESE PARTIES AS POSSIBLE:
SUNDAY The DIY Showoff - Under the Table and Dreaming - Mad in Crafts - I Heart Naptime MONDAY Home Savvy A to Z - 1929 Charmer - Be Colorful - TheSouthern Institute - DIY Home Sweet Home - Singing Three Little Birds - Homemakeron a Dime - Between Naps on the Porch - Cottage Instincts - It’s So Very Cheri - Keeping it Simple - Making the World Cuter - Sumo’s Sweet Stuff - The Girl Creative - Sew Can Do - Skip to my Lou - Craft o Maniac - Trendy Tree House - BlueCricut Design - TUESDAY Me and My Boys - Home Stories A 2 Z - Bowl Full of Lemons - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Coastal Charm - Confessions of a SAHM - Homework - Vintage Wannabe - Strictly Homemade - A Soft Place to Land - Hope Studios - Today's Creative Blog - CSI Weekly Challenge - Creative Itch - I’m Topsy Turvy - Sugar Bee - All things Related - Letting the Creative Juices Flow - Night Owl Crafting - Tip Junkie WEDNESDAY Momnivore'sDilemma - SouthernHospitality - YesterdayOn Tuesday - Blue Cricket Design - Someday Crafts - Domestically Speaking - Sew Much Ado - Seven Thirty-Three - My Backyard Eden - Take it from Me THURSDAY SavedBy Love - The ArtsyGirl Connection - MyCrazy Beautiful Life - DelightfulOrder - Fireflies and Jellybeans - Somewhat Simple - The Shabby Chic Cottage - It’s Fun to Craft - The Train to Crazy - Craftastical - Treasures for Tots FRIDAY SassySites - French Country Cottage - HappyHour Projects - Whipperberry - DesignerGarden - Serenity Now - Bacon Time - The Crafty Nest - delicateCONSTRUCTION- Young& amp; Crafty - Lolly Jane - Remodelaholic - 504 MainKojo Designs - Fingerprints on the FridgeThe Shabby Nest - Simply DesigningIt’s a HodgePodge Life - J A GirlDesign it ChicSATURDAY Tater Tots and Jell-OAlong for the RideFunky Junk - I Can't Stop Crafting

23 Response to Easy Fabric Silhouette Wall Art

February 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

These are just fabulous!

February 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

What an awesome idea!! Our hallway to the backyard is boring and white and I've been looking for something dog related to do back there since that's where the pups eat and store all their leashes, collars, etc. This is the perfect idea! Thank you.

February 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Oh my gosh. I absolutely love this!!!!!!

February 6, 2012 at 5:34 AM

What a cute idea! This is very unique and I love it!

Anonymous
February 6, 2012 at 6:52 AM

How cute!
Very unique!

February 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

What a fabulous project! Nicely done!

February 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM

These are adorable! I would love for you to post them on my website!

Susan,
http://www.ohmy-creative.com/
A community to Create - Share - Inspire

February 8, 2012 at 6:04 AM

This is absolutely adorable! Wish I had thought of this when decorating my son's nursery! Great job!

February 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

i love this idea this came out great! I would love you to add this and any other posts you want to show off to my What We Wore and Made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

February 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I love this! So easy to switch out as the 'bean' grows up too :0)

Thanks so much for taking part in our Pin'Inspiration Party. Hope that you are having as much fun exploring as I am and that you'll take part in helping the "Beat the Winter Blues" on Saturday.

February 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Very cool! I love that idea!
You should join me for Handmade 52!
http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/ -Katie

February 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM

LOVE! Thanks for linking up, I just featured this project on my fb page: http://www.facebook.com/seevanessacraft

February 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Looks amazing and cute! good work :)

http://growcreative.blogspot.com/

February 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Adorable! :)

February 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Too cute !I’d love for you to come link this post up at From Scratch Friday (live now on the blog!).

~Christina
http://marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com/2012/02/from-scratch-friday-2.html

February 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM

So cool, such a really great idea. You are so clever! Thanks for sharing you creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

February 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Super cute art. Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.

February 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Brilliant!!! I love it and I even have some foam board lying around! I featured it on Topsy Turvy Tuesdays this week. thanks for linking up!

February 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

This is SO darling and ADORABLE.. I LOVE LOVE IT.. You are being featured tonight via Pin'Inspirational Thursday.. Hope you can stop in, grab a button and link up again.. Absolutely pinning this.. FAB idea.. Thanks SO much for sharing.. : ))

February 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

This is so cute and I can't wait to share it today on Strictly Homemade Tuesday's Features. Thank you so much for linking up!! Your daughter's nursery is awesome!!

Anonymous
July 30, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Your pretty animals are very sweet and I have this featured on my animal arts post too today!

June 2, 2021 at 4:50 AM

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good gains. If you know of any please share. Thank you! Sea cans for sale near me

August 23, 2022 at 11:25 PM

I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read . I learn new information from your article , you are doing a great job. If you or anyone need some containers product, i provide unit Refrigerated Containers for sale and Shipping Containers For Sale

Related Posts with Thumbnails