Felt Silhouette Pillows

One of the easiest ways to change out the decor in a room is by making new throw pillows.  A bright fabric or design can make a plain tan couch the rooms focal point.  Or can add a temporary holiday theme without spending a ton of money. 

I decided to do just that with my plain tan couches by adding some new pillows.  I love the look of a bold silhouette design, and decided to use that style for my pillows.  I have some fleur-de-lis decor in my living room, so that's the bold design I decided on.

Now...how do I get a good fleur-de-lis cut out of felt?  I could try to free hand it, but we all know that will turn out...wonky!  So I began the clip art hunt.  I found quite a few options that would have been OK, but it was too hard to print the images in the size I wanted.  So I did some more exploring and remembered one of my favorite tips for finding silhouette images: wing ding fonts.
If you don't know what a wing ding font is...get ready because this is gonna change your crafting life!  Wing dings are fonts where each character is a picture, not a letter.  So when you type 'A', you get a smiley face, or a flower, or in my case an amazing fleur-de-lis!

And from my experience the best place to get free fonts is at www.dafont.com .  I don't get anything for saying that, they really are my favorite free font resource and have tons of wing ding fonts.
Once I downloaded and installed The French font I was ready to go. 
I printed out my favorite wing dings to make a pattern on plain paper.

I chose my favorite two for the pillows and cut them out of chocolate brown felt.  (I saved the other two patterns for other projects)


Now for the slow part...applique the felt cut out onto a 17" square piece of fabric that will be the front of your pillow.  Very slowly sew all the way around your cut out as close to the edge as possible.  Since felt does not unravel, you don't need to worry about finishing the edge.  

Once the applique is on, have two options to finish the pillow.  If you are going to want to change out your throw pillows, finish the back with an envelope closure or a zipper to allow for easy removal.  If this is a forever pillow you can stuff it and sew the whole edge shut.



And there you go...a few simple steps to get really special throw pillows to spice up your home decor.  And the best thing is that the possibilities for this project are unlimited.  You can make Felt Silhouette Pillows for every season and every room in your house. 
You just have to Find the Time!  :)

{Note: the Fleur-de-Lis pillows featured in this post are currently for sale in my Etsy shop: By Studio 13 along with other great gift ideas!}

Pin It


I AM LINKING TO AS MANY OF THESE PARTIES AS POSSIBLE:
SUNDAY The DIY Showoff  - Under the Table and Dreaming - Mad in Crafts  - I Heart Naptime   MONDAY  Home Savvy A to Z - 1929 Charmer - Be Colorful - TheSouthern Institute - DIY Home Sweet Home - Singing Three Little Birds - Homemakeron a Dime - Between Naps on the Porch - Cottage Instincts - It’s So Very Cheri - Keeping it Simple - Making the World Cuter - Sumo’s Sweet Stuff - The Girl Creative - Sew Can Do - Skip to my Lou - Craft o Maniac - Trendy Tree House - BlueCricut DesignTUESDAY Me and My Boys - Home Stories A 2 Z - Bowl Full of Lemons - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Coastal Charm - Confessions of a SAHM - Homework - Vintage Wannabe - Strictly Homemade -  A Soft Place to Land - Hope Studios - Today's Creative Blog - CSI Weekly Challenge - Creative Itch - I’m Topsy Turvy - Sugar Bee - All things Related - Letting the Creative Juices Flow - Night Owl Crafting - Tip Junkie WEDNESDAY Momnivore'sDilemma - SouthernHospitality - YesterdayOn Tuesday - Blue Cricket Design Someday Crafts - Domestically Speaking - Sew Much Ado - Seven Thirty-Three - My Backyard Eden - Take it from Me THURSDAY SavedBy Love - The ArtsyGirl Connection - MyCrazy Beautiful Life - DelightfulOrder - Fireflies and Jellybeans - Somewhat Simple - The Shabby Chic Cottage - It’s Fun to Craft - The Train to Crazy - Craftastical  - Treasures for Tots  FRIDAY SassySitesFrench Country Cottage - HappyHour Projects - Whipperberry - DesignerGarden - Serenity Now - Bacon Time - The Crafty Nest - delicateCONSTRUCTION - Young & Crafty - Lolly Jane  Remodelaholic  - 504 MainKojo Designs - Fingerprints on the Fridge – The Shabby Nest - Simply Designing – It’s a HodgePodge Life - J A GirlDesign it Chic – SATURDAY Tater Tots and Jell-OAlong for the RideFunky Junk

3 Response to Felt Silhouette Pillows

January 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Hi! I found you through the Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop! Looking forward to coming back and checking out your posts more as your newest follower!

feel free to stop by http://maidinmotherhood.blogspot.com

January 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Your pillows are really nice, I love the fleus de lis. The silhouette design does look really great on your couch. Thanks for all your creative post you shared with us at Sunday's Best.

January 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

A great pattern and color combo. Thanks for linking up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

Related Posts with Thumbnails