Girl's T-Shirt Dress


We are in for a treat! I have another guest tutorial from my super talented mom! She made my daughter about 5 of these super cute (and super easy) t-shirt dresses, and I just had to get her to write this tutorial so you all can make one!

This tutorial is for these super cute t-shirt dresses I recently made for my granddaughter. I bought some t-shirts off the clearance rack (these were all $3.00 each at Kohl's) and matched each one with some cotton fabric I already had. I used the overall measurement of 17” for all the dresses I made (we measured from my granddaughter's shoulder to her knee). You can use the size of the fabric scrap as the main deciding factor for how much of the dress was t-shirt and how much was skirt, but I also let the design on the t-shirt guide me. Most of the skirts are placed 1/2 to 1 inch below the design (remember to add seam allowance before you cut the t-shirt).

Once you have the general layout in mind, use a rotary cutter to trim of the bottom of the t-shirt to the desired length. When cutting the skirt fabric, be sure to add allowance for both the seam and the hem before you cut. For the desired fullness of the skirt consider cutting your fabric so that it is 1.5 to 2 times the bottom width of the t-shirt when not stretched.

Next, I hemmed the fabric for the skirt by folding the fabric under 1/4 inch and then another 1/2". You can hem it with just a straight stitch.


I then used a gathering stitch to finish the top of the skirt.


Putting the rights sides together, I then gathered the skirt to fit the size of the t-shirt and pinned it on. Using a stretch stitch, I attached the t-shirt to the skirt. I practiced on the t-shirt scrap to ensure it would stretch enough to make it comfortable to put on a squirming one-year old!

(We actually found out the hard way that you will need more stretch than you’d think in this seam. Also, as nice as it looks, do not top stitch this seam because it will take away the stretch and make the dress near impossible to put on!)


And for a second variation on this project use a onesie instead of a t-shirt.   I figured out this variation on the second set of dresses I made that using onesies for the top of the dress allowed me to make a pair of panties that are perfectly coordinated. After you cut the onesie in half just fold down the top edge of the lower half and sew a casing (again use a stretch stitch). Next, measure a piece of elastic to fit your little one’s waist and feed it through the top of the onesie. Secure with some quick stitches over the seam and you’re all done.




I hope you all have fun with this project! They are so easy and quick and make a wonderful personalized gift without much expense.

Well there you go...another great project we can all find the time for!
Pin It

24 Response to Girl's T-Shirt Dress

Anonymous
June 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
June 2, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Super Cute. This would make a good summer project for me and my girls. Thanks!

Samantha
June 2, 2010 at 5:25 PM

What awesomely cute dresses! Thank you SO much for taking the time to share them with us! :) I'm definitely going to have to give this a try!

Anonymous
June 3, 2010 at 8:14 AM

How adorable are they and you can see how dramatic creative you can get like that purple top and striped bottom fabric and the one with the funny "all the bugs" bottom fabric. Great share! Thanks!

Haupi
http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

June 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM

they are adorable! I have made some using little tank tops too. I love the onesie idea. I'm visiting you from THTC.

June 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Very sweet dresses. Thanks for linking!

June 3, 2010 at 4:49 PM

These are really cute! I good idea to recycle t-shirts, too. Happy Transformation Thursday <3

June 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Those dresses are absolutely adorable! I am a new follower from Friendly Friday, so glad to have found your creative blog. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Eloise
Mommy2TwoGirls
http://mommy2twogirls.blogspot.com/

June 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM

That's adorable! I would love to try it sometime too! Love your blog. Found you on New Friend Friday! I'm a new follower!

June 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

very cute i will have to make one!
I am your newest follower!!! I would love a follow back! http://stashmama.blogspot.com/ Thanks :) Happy Friday!!

June 5, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Okay, tell your mother you have a new follower because of her! ;-) These dresses are amazing and I'm going to be sewing some from her tutorial. Thanks for the great ideas.

June 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Those are great!! Yet another cute project in which I am left wishing that I knew how to sew! :)

June 6, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I love this! I want to make one for my daughter...a good excuse to learn how to do a gathering stitch finally!

June 7, 2010 at 12:24 PM

What a cute, cute dress that made. Soooo many options with this idea. Thank you mom for the tutorial.

I came here via Between Naps on the Porch. Hope you can stop by and visit me sometimes ofer at Pittypat Paperie.

June 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Super super cute!!!

June 8, 2010 at 6:42 AM

I love these too & the shirt choices were great. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday!

Anonymous
June 8, 2010 at 6:44 AM

This is just what I have been looking for to
make for 3 precious granddaughters and 3 grand-
nieces. So nice of you to share the how-tos &
thanks to your mother for sharing her ideas.

And you are so right! I can find time for this!

Anonymous
June 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Cute dresses. We have some of those shirts too! :)

June 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Cute! I bet they're so comfy to play in.

June 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Love these! Great tutorial. My two year old has some onesies that fit, but she doesn't wear them anymore now that she is potty trained, so I am SO excited to use them to make some of these adorable dresses! Great idea! Thanks!

June 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Cute dresses!! Thanks for linking!

June 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM

These are so adorable! You mom did a fabulous job! Very clever and creative! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

June 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Very cute project! Thanks for sharing these on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

July 12, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Amazing... all I can say is CUTE!

college district

Related Posts with Thumbnails